In addition to the online application form, applicants must also provide the following materials. Note that the online application process may include some of these items and you will be required to upload them to the application.
- Appropriate application fee (varies)
- Résumé or Vita (upload to online application)
- A statement outlining your educational and career goals may also be attached to your application. This very important part of your application helps the faculty to decide whether our program is appropriate for you. In the statement, you should explain why you want to study linguistics and what you intend to do with the knowledge you would gain from studying here. You should also note any special circumstances concerning your application, your prior training or experience, and anything else you wish the faculty to take into account in evaluating your application. (upload to online application)
- One (1) official copy of your transcript from the baccalaureate granting institution, and any transcripts from institutions attended post-baccalaureate. If your transcript was issued in a language other than English, a certified translation in English should be attached to each official copy. (upload to online application)
- Three (3) letters of recommendation. If possible, these people should include faculty members who have supervised your earlier work. You will need to provide the names, titles, and contact information of the individuals you are requesting recommendations from on the online application . If the person recommending you is unable to complete the LOR online they can send a hardcopy directly to the department.
- An official report directly from ETS of the results of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). (Mandatory requirement, no waivers.)
- Non-native speakers of English must meet English proficiency requirements as described here http://graduate.ku.edu/english-proficiency-requirements.
- A writing sample on a linguistically related topic is ideal, but one that showcases your general academic abilities in logic reasoning and argumentation is also welcome. (upload to online application -under other/additional documents)
Note to all applicants: We must receive all mandatory materials for your application to be considered for admissions. In particular, we cannot offer any admission status, conditional or otherwise, without GRE or proof of English proficiency. Requests to waive these requirements are routinely not granted and will slow down the process of your application. Consult the online application checklist for updates on the status of your application.
The deadline of application for Fall admission is December 15. We do not offer Spring admission. Complete applications are reviews in February and admission decisions are communicated in March. Consult the online application checklist for updates on the status of your application.