The Department of Linguistics Graduation Recognition Reception honoring graduating undergraduates, master's and doctoral students will be held Saturday, May 14, 2016 at Blake Hall room 114 from 12:00 to 2:30pm.
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Distinction/Highest Distinction and Masters Hooding Ceremony
Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 10:30 AM
DHD questions: 785-864-3513 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Masters Hooding questions: 785-864-1784 or email@example.com
University Honors Program Recognition Ceremony for Graduating Seniors
Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 3:00 PM
Crafton-Preyer Theatre, Murphy Hall
Reception to follow at Nunemaker
Contact: 785-864-3248 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Graduate Studies - Doctoral Hooding Ceremony
Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 7:30 PM
This event will require registration and tickets for admission, more details to be announced.
The University of Kansas Commencement1 Ceremony
Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 10:30am
College's Master’s Hooding Ceremony
All master's degree students in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences who are candidates for graduation are invited to participate in the Master's Hooding and Undergraduate Distinction/Highest Distinction Ceremony in May at the Lied Center. This ceremony is a great way for you and your family and friends to recognize your academic achievement. Tickets are required for this event; seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Any master's degree student who graduates in the summer, fall, or spring semesters preceding the ceremony or any master's student expecting to graduate in the summer or fall immediately following the ceremony is welcome to participate.
If you wish to participate you should:
- Complete the online registration form (available mid-Spring).
- Apply for graduation (AFG) on Enroll & Pay2. May grads must apply by May 15; however, if you would like to be listed in the University Commencement program, you must apply by March 3. As long as you have met the March 3 deadline, you will be listed in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Graduation Ceremony program. If you have not yet applied for graduation on Enroll & Pay, you must do it by the deadline or your degree cannot be certified and you will not officially graduate.
Note: Completing the AFG does not mean course requirements are complete and your graduation is approved.
- Coordinate with a faculty member to serve as your hooder. You should personally contact your faculty advisor/mentor and ask him or her to be present at the ceremony to hood you. If your faculty mentor or advisor cannot be present, you may choose another professor, or we can ask an associate dean to hood you.
- The Graduation Recognition Ceremonies are formal events requiring the proper regalia. All graduates will be asked to walk across the stage in caps, gowns, tassels and hoods to be recognized. Your cap, tassel and gown should be black. The hood will be white, the color for the academic discipline of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Linguistics. You will need to bring your hood for the hooding ceremony. All items can be ordered at the KU Bookstores4. Information for students on caps and gowns, diplomas, announcements and other graduation information can be found on the KU Commencement website1. We recommend ordering these items as soon as possible, and no later than May 1. Sizes become more limited as commencement approaches.
- CLAS does require tickets for your guests. The Lied Center is a lovely indoor facility that accommodates 1500 people. There is plenty of parking available and the building is completely accessible. See a Lied Center usher for the following, wheelchair accessible seating areas, aisle seating for guests who require assistance in walking, listening aid equipment and seating, and/or available seating closer to the stage for visually impaired guests who arrive when the auditorium doors open. If you are a student and in need of an accommodation due to a disability, please submit your request at least 14 days in advance of the event to Corinna Johnson at email@example.com or 785-864-3450.
- Graduates report to the Lied Center by 9:30 a.m. on Saturday, May 14. Please do not be late. Please wear your cap, gown and tassel and carry your hood. Once you arrive, school staff and faculty will direct you. You will pick up your name card at this time. The name cards are used to announce your name as you cross the stage and identify you in your graduation photo
- During the recognition part of the program, you will carry your hood in your right arm and hand your name card to the announcer on the stage. When you cross the stage, you will stop and hand your hood to the faculty hooders. They will perform the hooding then you will cross the stage to shake hands with Dean Danny Anderson.
- Photographers will take your picture on stage and photos will be available for you to purchase later.
- At the end of the program, there will be a faculty recessional, followed by a student recessional. (Just follow the leader.)
Graduate Studies – Doctoral Hooding Ceremony
All August, December and May doctoral degree candidates are eligible to participate in the ceremony at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday, May 14, 2016, in the Lied Center. Only doctoral candidates who have satisfied all of their degree requirements by the deadline for graduation in May will be eligible to participate in the Doctoral Hooding Ceremony. You are welcome to contact the Graduate Studies office at (785) 864-8040 after May 1 to confirm your participation. If you plan to attend hooding, please complete this form1.
You must contact the faculty member you wish to perform your hooding to verify he or she is available.
Regalia is required for participation in the doctoral hooding ceremony. If you do not have your own regalia (cap, gown, tassel, and hood), you should arrange for purchase of the needed items. Doctoral candidates from the Lawrence campus may purchase their items at the KU Bookstore2 in the Kansas Union or at the Jayhawk Bookstore. The deadline for regalia rental is April 5. After this date, late fees will apply.
Please report to the Lied Center between 2:30 and 3:00 pm, but no later than 3:00 pm and proceed as follows:
- Go to the check in table and pick up the name card that you will use in the ceremony. Verify the spelling and write out phonetic pronunciation along with your email address (for use by photographer).
- Locate your faculty holder in the lineup area for your school. Be certain to communicate in advance with the faculty member who will hood you to determine where you plan to meet.
- Follow the signs to determine where you should line up. The line up is organized by School/College. Proceed to the side hallway area where you will line up with your faculty hooder for the procession. Wait for the procession to begin.
The procession will begin at 3:30 p.m. Students enter the Lied Center followed by his/her faculty hooder. You, your faculty hooder, and any other candidates he or she is hooding must be seated together in the same row.
The ceremony will close with the recession of all members of the stage party, the doctoral graduates and their faculty hooders. You will proceed outside of the Lied Center where your guests can join you.
For more information - http://graduate.ku.edu/students